Jumpstart SEO with PPC
SEO has become a staple for any business with a web presence. Whether it is an informational corporate website or a multi-million dollar ecommerce site, effective SEO is critical to your bottom line. There are numerous keyword research tools, both paid and free, that attempt to estimate search volume on keywords. However, high search volume doesn't necessarily translate into higher profits. So how do you know where to begin your SEO efforts?
Start with PPC
Pay-Per-Click (PPC) advertising provides you with a keyword research tool that brings traffic to your site and insight into your traffic. The following steps will help you leverage PPC to determine the most effective terms to target with your SEO:
- Start by making a list of all the possible terms you would like to target.
- Expand your keyword list to include plural and singular forms, combinations of terms, common misspellings, etc.
- Organize your expanded keyword list into themed groups. One is sufficient if your terms are already focused, but you will likely have multiple groups.
- Place each themed keyword list in a separate ad group and write ads relevant to your theme.
- Choose the most relevant page of your website for each ad group.
- Adjust bids to ensure your ads get 1st-page placement for all keywords (unless the bidding simply goes too high for your budget).
While a majority of the time will be spent in the initial construction of the campaign and ad groups, time must also be spent to monitor and adjust the campaign for best results. However, as the campaign runs you will gain valuable insight into what terms potential customers search most often and what ad copy resonates with potential customers. Armed with this information you can then confidently target SEO efforts on keywords that will provide the best ROI for your business.